- Submission of Adoption Application. The application does not oblige you to adopt, nor does the visitation; the application gives us more information to help ensure an appropriate, suitable and good match.
- Telephone interview scheduled with our Adoption Director.
- A positive reference from your current or former veterinarian (3 personal references if no vet or out of state).
- A CHS conducted home visit at applicant's home.
- Visit the pet at the foster home. Our rescue group does not have a brick and mortar facility, all our animals are home fostered in our foster volunteer’s homes. You will be visiting a private residence.
- Provide CHS with photos and status of pet throughout pet’s life, you are part of our family!
- Must be at least 20 years of age to adopt.
- Our adoptions are not first come, first served, but the best possible match made. All adoptions are based on the best match for the adoptee based on temperament, activity level, home environment and other pets in the home.
- We always take our animals back should it prove to be a less than perfect match, or if you are unable or unwilling to care for the animal any longer. We just don't want the animal to go back into the system.
- It is also our policy NOT to adopt to families with intact dogs or cats (unless there is a medical reason for not doing so). This is an effort to educate and support our national spay/neuter efforts to reduce the unwanted pet population.
- We DO adopt to DC residents, parts of Maryland and Virginia. If too far from our epi-center we do request your local humane society or shelter to do a home visit for us and act as our safety net.
- Our cats/kittens are inside kitties only. We do not adopt single kittens unless there is already an incumbent playful cat owned, or adopt another from us or from another rescue!
- Our adoption fee varies per dog from $150 - $350, depending upon age, breed, and medical/behavioral conditions.
- Our adoption fee per cat is $100. If you wish to adopt a kitten and there are no other pets in the home, we do require that you adopt two kittens so that they will have the stimulation they need to be healthy and happy.
- This fee does not come close to what we have already happily invested in your future pet including: vet care for any medical issues (big and small) the animal has when we first take possession, follow-up care including dental work, when necessary, spay or neuter surgery, heartworm test on dogs over 6 months, heartworm and flea/tick preventative medication, first or more vaccinations, first or more deworming treatment, rabies vaccination, and microchip.
- Accepted forms of payment include cash, checks, or money order payable to Culpeper Humane Society.