- Submission of Adoption Application. The application does not oblige you to adopt, nor does the visitation; the application gives us more information to help ensure an appropriate, suitable and good match.
- Telephone interview scheduled with our Adoption Director.
- A positive reference from your current or former veterinarian (3 personal references if no vet or out of state).
- A CHS conducted home visit (or Virtual Home Visit) at applicant's home.
- Visit the pet at the foster home. Our rescue group does not have a brick and mortar facility, all our animals are home fostered in our foster volunteer’s homes. You will be visiting a private residence.
- Provide CHS with photos and status of pet throughout pet’s life, you are part of our family!
- Must be at least 20 years of age to adopt.
- Our adoptions are not first come, first served, but the best possible match made. All adoptions are based on the best match for the adoptee based on temperament, activity level, home environment and other pets in the home.
- We always take our animals back should it prove to be a less than perfect match, or if you are unable or unwilling to care for the animal any longer. We just don't want the animal to go back into the system.
- It is also our policy NOT to adopt to families with intact dogs or cats (unless there is a medical reason for not doing so). This is an effort to educate and support our national spay/neuter efforts to reduce the unwanted pet population.
- We DO adopt to DC residents, parts of Maryland and Virginia. From time to time, we will adopt further outside our epi-center, however, we do request your local humane society or shelter to do a home visit for us and act as our safety net. Please note that if a pet is extremely popular within our stated adoption area, we would not adopt outside of that area.
- Our cats/kittens are inside kitties only. We do not adopt single kittens unless there is already an incumbent playful cat owned, or adopt another from us or from another rescue!
- Our adoption fee varies per dog from $150 - $350, depending upon age, breed, and medical/behavioral conditions.
- Our adoption fee per cat is $150. We do not adopt singlet kittens, unless you have a playful kitty at home already (no, not a 10 year old senior cat). You can adopt another kitten (from us or another rescue!) so that they will have the stimulation they need to be healthy and happy.
- This fee does not come close to what we have already happily invested in your future pet including: vet care for any medical issues (big and small) the animal has when we first take possession, follow-up care including dental work, when necessary, spay or neuter surgery, heartworm test on dogs over 6 months, SNAP test for cats, heartworm and flea/tick preventative medication for dogs, first or more distemper vaccinations, first or more deworming treatment, rabies vaccination, and microchip.
- Accepted forms of payment include cash, checks, or money order payable to Culpeper Humane Society.